Friday, February 25, 2011

The Pirates Discover the Skate Park; One-Pot Cooking

I broke down and bought the boys a couple inexpensive toys at a store called Cherished just around the corner that sells some new and some second-hand toys. Each boy got a sword and an eye patch. Ollie also chose a bag of matchbox cars and Merrit bought a iPhone-lookalike toy that he was promptly and soundly disappointed with. I think he thought it was going to have games on it!

Swords in hand, we walked back to the sea. Today was 57 degrees and partly sunny. Everyone and their dog was at the coast, though you can't really tell from this pic. Looks deserted.

Ollie looks so chill. Like, "Bring it."
This week is half-term break, which means that all school-aged kids are out of school. Seems like there are a lot of families out and about and even tourists from other areas here this week. And dogs! So many dogs! Of all kinds. I guess there's not a leash law because, at the beach at least, the dogs were running loose and they were everywhere you looked.

Ollie was running loose, too, feeling full of himself in the bracing winds.
We walked further today than we did earlier this week and we found a skate park. So super cool. Merrit was wishing his buddy Lincoln could have been here to check it out! Kids were riding bikes, scooters, roller blades, and skateboards. Most kids Merrit's age were riding scooters. The big bowl was dominated by teenage boys doing pretty impressive bike tricks. The boys were MESMERIZED.



When we got home, it was time to start dinner.

I have two small pots and a skillet that Mike's company has been kind enough to loan us until our boxes arrive. I've been trying to cook simple, hearty dinners that don't require expensive ingredients, as I'm just getting our kitchen's pantry stocked with staples. 

We joined the library--just two blocks away--on Monday and have already been there three times. Earlier today I checked out a cookbook called Just One Pot by Lindsey Bareham. Tonight I'm making her Sausage and Mushroom Cassoulet.

The fresh thyme and rosemary are from pots in the back courtyard.
This townhouse was meant for me.
Love reading cookbooks. I'm learning about local ingredients by reading this one. I can't wait to find out what aubergines and rocket are...and try them!

And then there are ingredients that either aren't all that available or just not as popular back in NC that are everywhere you look here. Leeks. Beets. Lentils. Lamb. Barley. Monkfish. What a fun way to explore a new country.

Part of me can't wait to get my boxes of cookware and kitchen gadgets. Part of me revels in the simplicity of the hearty stews and comfort food that I'm--out of necessity--limited to for now.

P.S. Googled it. Aubergines are a variety of eggplant. Rocket? Get this. It's just arugula.

6 comments:

Brandie said...

I actually knew what those were! :-) I'm such a Food Network nerd. I bought a webcam so email me and we'll set up a time for us to scype. I miss you guys so much! Glad to see you are doing well...

Barbara Pilcher said...

Another food-geek here. I knew what aubergines and rocket were. Aubergine is also a color purple, of course).

I love when those boys are mesmerized. It's only a matter of till Ollie's a skate rat.

Barbara Pilcher said...

...matter of time...

Loving your blog. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop-de-loop!

RLR said...

Looks like you guys are having a great time. So happy for you guys.

Love,
Robyn

Delores said...

We love this Blog, Mir...Merrit leaning against the post, Ollie running in the wind..your bravery in finding Ikea.Sp love the name of your blog..
we'll definitely stay tuned for more adventure.
Love to all of you
Delores, Mom, Nanny

Meercat said...

Brandie: You foodie! Love that food TV don'tcha?! Haha. Hey, Skype me. Maybe first thing before you guys get started with school because it'll be lunchtime here and we'll both be at our respective homes. Like say 8am your time (1pm our time). My Skype name is mir.haynes. I found Josh on Skype but not you. What's your Skype name?

Ra: Miss you girl. Thanks for commenting. Give Reece a big snuggle for me. I'm impressed that you're keeping her!

Grandmas: Knew you'd both be fast fans of the blog. Love y'all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...