![]() |
| Could you live without a dryer? Our new house doesn't have one, but I don't mind. |
We arrived here with only the bags we carried onto the plane.
Back in NC, we stored some of our belongings for when we return. And we packed up some boxes to send via boat here to England--that stuff won't be here for another four to six weeks. Everything else: Sold, donated, given to friends, or tossed. If I had to put numbers on it, I'd say that we stored 20%, sent 10%, and got rid of 70% of the our things as we prepared for this move.
Was it hard?
Surprisingly, not really. I remember that Mike said, watching a very nice couple drove off in our (now, their) 2005 Audi A4 Wagon, "With everything we sell, I feel better and better. It feels so good to just let it go." Me, I was just in get-it-done mode, not really taking the time to reflect much. Now that I've had a chance to think about it, I've got no regrets.
And now we're here, waiting for our boxes to arrive. The movers said we were shipping about 2,000 pounds of stuff. As we live here for our second week without the contents of those boxes, I'm wondering if we really actually need it all. I'm also wondering where in this sweet little townhouse all of it will go!
What's been interesting is to track the mental tally of items that I really miss or need. My chef's knife. A cast iron skillet. A stock pot. Running shoes. Extra socks. Merrit's rain boots. Ollie's basket of matchbox cars. Pens and paper. My own pillow. All my big, fun earrings.
I'm missing my hair dryer, but I need to buy a new one because the outlets are different here. Haven't stumbled upon a beauty supply shop yet! So, my hair looks flat, but hey, it's raining, and no one knows me anyway! LOL.
I definitely can't wait four weeks to exercise, so I'm planning to buy new running shoes in the next day or two (again, not sure where to go for that, but I'm going to ask one of Mike's co-workers that I've met).
And, really, that about does it.
It's been very calming to live with just the essentials. With the exception of a few favorite things, I'm feeling very free and unfettered living without all that stuff. The pace here is so appealing. One load of laundry a day. Small loads of dishes in a small dishwasher; works for us since we've only got four bowls, four plates, four forks, etc. Carrying home groceries for that day's meals. Simple and fresh, and open to last-minute changes based on what you're in the mood for or what looks good at the butcher shop.
Am I in the honeymoon phase? Probably. :-)

7 comments:
I don't know if I could live without a dryer. Oh I probably could but I don't know if my brain would be ready for it. I keep thinking, is she going to get a dryer? What is that thing her pants are on? Where is the closest laundromat? My brain is odd - sorry for that. I'm so happy for you!
today i was looking at a stuffed monkey lincoln has had since he was born. we used to take pictures with that monkey every year, just to see how much lincoln had grown. now i wonder if we were to do something like you did- would i store the monkey or get rid of it. oh, the pressure to hold on to "things" as if in them is where our memories lie...
Hi there. I just found your blog through the slipcover girl. I'm an American living in Oxfordshire England. I Have lived here for over three years.
This post brings back such bitter sweet memories from when we first arrived. We got rid of a lot of our stuff for our move over, which I regret getting rid of a lot of it now. The stuff we shipped took over two months to arrive. It was agony waiting for it.
Boots or Superdrug is probably the best place to get your health and beauty type stuff (and a hairdryer). And try Argos for home stuff.
Please pop on over to my blog sometime and say hi. I'm happy to help if you need help finding anything or figuring anything out! Kristy
ahhh...i miss you. and love living vicariously through you. this past week, i've been walking around my house to unload the unnecessary stuff. even if i love it. there's way too much clutter under our roof. post what your cookin'. luv ya!
Carrie: I found a dry cleaners and they'll iron my crusty, wrinkly clothes! No laundromat in sight, though. The thing I'm drying them on is this great drying rack that folds down flat but opens up like an A-frame with two big wings to hold a whole load of laundry easily! Got it at IKEA.
Here's the really crazy thing. Y'all ready for this: No closets! Wardrobes. And they're small. I'll take photos of them and post. Stay tuned. Seriously, they won't hold much more than what we packed in our suitcases. What's a fashionista to do?!
Kris: Welcome to my baby blog...just an itty bitty thing with a few short posts so I'm flattered that you're following already! Glad you found me through Kristi...Don't you love that Slipcover Girl?! Thanks for the tips re: Boots and Argos. I know where there's a Boots, actually. Oh, happy hair! :-) I'll check out your blog today. Thanks for the link!
Tina: Don't get crazy on me. You better hang on to that monkey. (That's what she said.)
Some call it clutter, I call it memories. I can see an object that someone has given me 30 years ago and remember the setting and the day. I recently read that if you must clear out THINGS just take pictures of them and save the memory in that manner.Then create a small album or shoe box to keep the "memories" in.
I think I need to move to England or maybe just an apartment. Miss you. I don't think it is a honeymoon phase probably just a reality check.
Post a Comment