Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pudding?

The stem of this peony snapped (rambunctious boys!), so I brought it inside to put it in water. I don't have any pretty glass bowls, so I floated it in an oversized cereal bowl. It looked so much like an ice-cream dessert, I stuck a spoon in it to complete the illusion.


In all these sentences, substitute the word "dessert" for the word "pudding" to get a sense of how the Brits use this term:

"Ollie had a great day at nursery school today. He worked on his letters, played with musical instruments, and for his snack he had cheese toast and for his pudding he had grapes."

"Lunch was great today, Mom! We had spaghetti and meatballs and yogurt for pudding."

On a restaurant chalkboard:

Today's Puddings
Carrot Cake
Sticky Toffee Pudding
Cheesecake

2 comments:

Barbara Pilcher said...

That's crazy. How did that ever happen? Maybe puddinum is Latin for dessert.

Ann said...

Floral pudding-such a beautifully "staged" flower.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...