Sunday, June 12, 2011

Checkmate

Mike has been teaching Merrit how to play chess.
As I eavesdrop (not really, I just happen to be fixing dinner),
I'm amazed how many life lessons can be worked into a game
of chess. Once a homeschooling family, always a homeschooling
family--at least in spirit. Everything is a learning opportunity!

Ollie in the background playing with his Leap Frog
alphabet letters.

6 comments:

Carrie @carrieloves said...

My dad taught my sister & I how to play chess, too. (I love all your pictures, your family has the best times!)

Barbara Pilcher said...

I want to hear what the life lessons are.

Meercat said...

Hey Mom, last night Mike and Merrit played chess and these were two of the points that were made:

- Have a plan if you want to win. If you don't have a plan, you might get lucky and win every now and then, but odds are you'll lose.

- Don't just think one move ahead; think two or even three moves ahead.

Ann said...

What sweet memories your family is making...

Dianne said...

Mir, Mir, Mir - you have no idea how much this "I'm amazed how many life lessons can be worked into a game of chess" sounds like my dad. Can you not hear him saying that to himself with Dawn and I and you?? :) Parenting is quite the learning experience for all!

Meercat said...

Dianne, I'm cracking up right now. Your dad always *was* one to work a lecture in here and there on the sly...or not so sly, come to think of it!! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...