Saturday, July 2, 2011

Goin' to Carolina in my Mind

The view from my brother-in-law Rocky's deck.
We're in Black Mountain now. This is a slice of Americana if ever there was one. Of course, it is the Fourth of July holiday weekend, but our hometown couldn't be more picturesque, winsome, and nostalgic if it tried.

I went for a five mile run this morning through my favorite parts of town...

down the streets where I used to ride my bike
past houses where there used to be a horse pasture and a daylily farm
beside the elementary school where I met my someday-husband
through a lot where folks were setting up the weekend farmers' market
across the bridge and over the creek I used to play in
past houses where childhood friends lived
and back to my in-laws' home, welcoming me

The sun was rising up over the mountains, the air was cool, there was still dew on the grass. And everywhere I looked I saw red, white, and blue. Little flags tucked into flower pots, flags waving from shaded front porches, bunting tied to hand rails, banners in shop windows. 

It's great to be home. Happy Fourth of July, everyone.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...