Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Our Jenga

1996 - 2011
I brought you home from the vet hospital where I worked.
We were married just six months then.
You were homeless and so spunky,
With oversized ocelot ears.
You made us laugh with your brainless antics,
Your 100-mile-an-hour silliness, and cross-eyed glances.

Through two moves, two babies born, a Greyhound come and gone,
And always with Skippy—your friend and nemesis,
You charmed us with your jungle-cat strut and your statuesque beauty.
You were a princess. You had Mike wrapped around your little pink toe.

We almost lost you once before.
Mike slept on the floor of the closet
All night, his hand on you.
We nursed you through—
Gave you sub-q fluids and fed you with a syringe.
And you got better.

We had four more years with you, our little "Chickie."
Your bubble-gum toes and cotton-ball feet.
The way you laid “cute traps” we couldn’t resist.
Your rabbit-soft coat, meticulously licked.
Your demanding “feed me” mew.
Your lazy window-sill sunning, eyes half-closed.
Your rattley purr in bed at night.

I’m sorry we weren’t there for you, Jenga—
Our sweet, slinky, shiny girl—
To hold you through your peaceful passing.

A letter Merrit wrote to Jenga when we first told him
on Sunday that she was very sick.

A memorial that Kara, our friend in NC, painted under the chair where
she held Jenga for us until the very end. Thank you, Kara.

9 comments:

Carrie @carrieloves said...

Mir, I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Losing a pet can be a very emotional time.

p.s. thanks for the invite to read your blog - I love keepin' up with you guys!

Balanced Body said...

Very sweet tribute to Jenga. She was a beautiful girl.

You know how sorry I am....

Barbara Pilcher said...

That's a beautiful tribute poem for your Jenga. We're so sorry that you lost her. She lived all nine of her lives fully.

hjriley said...

My heart is breaking for you :( Beautiful poem and Merrit's letter brought tears to my eyes. It's never easy to loose a furbaby.

Donna said...

We are so, so sorry to hear about Jenga. We know how it feels to lose a beloved pet; they are always one of the family. Love to you all! Dad/Granddaddy and Donna/Grandma Donna

SalemSister said...

Mir, so sorry about Jenga. You certainly created a beautiful tribute and your friend in NC did also. I know how you love your pets and how much it hurts to have one leave you too soon. Hope you all recover quickly. Thinking of you four!

Dianne said...

That was a beautiful tribute, Mir. You all are in our prayers.

Blanchard Bunch said...

So sorry for all of you...Jenga was a sweetie...those 4-footed ones are so special to our families...praying for you all...u know I have tears in my eyes! Hugs to you all..

Tina said...

thinking of all the tears you must have cried while writing that tribute...

and what a sweet memorial from kara.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...