Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle, and the Castle Rock

After we got off the train, we met up with a friend of Jer's named Tom (our most awesome tour guide for the day!), grabbed breakfast at McDonald's, and followed Tom as he took us through the city and up the Royal Mile, the road that leads up to Edinburgh Castle.

Here's Tom. Mike, Jer, and Tom all played in the same pool league a few years
back. Tom and his wife Catherine moved to Edinburgh about 8 months ago.

The Royal Mile is a succession of streets that form
the main thoroughfare of Edinburgh's Old Town.  The Royal Mile
is almost a mile long and runs from Holyrood Abbey to
the top of the Castle Rock, at the entrance of the castle.
The streets that make up the Royal Mile are (west to east)
Castle Esplanade, Castlehill, Lawnmarket, High Street,
Canongate and Abbey Strand. This is the Old Town's
busiest tourist street. (thanks, Wikipedia)

Walking up the steady incline to the castle.

Ollie's tuckered out and it's not even 11:00am yet. This does not bode well for
the long day ahead! :)

The gatehouse, built in 1888 with the sole purpose of making the castle look
more imposing. It replaced a much simpler 17th-century gate. 

This is a bronze statue of Sir William Wallace, added in
1929. (Also known as "Braveheart," played by Mel Gibson.)
There is no record that Wallace ever visited the castle, though.
(details about the castle in this post are taken from the guidebook
we bought that day)

The castle's Porticullis Gate, built in 1573. It originally
had four barriers--an iron porticullis and three pairs
of wooden doors. The doors are gone now.

The iron porticullis.

We lost Merrit for a minute, then we realized
that the hoodie he was wearing is like
castle camouflage!

Once  you get through the gatehouse, you realize that this isn't one building,
but really a small city. At right, old cartsheds that have been converted into
a cafe and gift shop. Straight ahead, the governor's house, built in 1742.
And behind that, the barracks, built in 1799 to house 600 soldiers and still
a working barracks. (Believe it or not, the castle is a working
military base to this day!)

Walking up the cobblestone street, the governor's house on our right and
Foog's Gate on our left.

Foog's Gate, which was added in the 17th century to refortify the castle.

It's a big hill for a little kid.

The city of Edinburgh in the distance, with the Firth of Forth in the far distance.

We hooked up with a guided tour already in session. In the background,
the Scottish National War Memorial.

We're standing in Crown Square, at the heart of the castle. This courtyard was
built in the late 15th century. The Crown Square had four important buildings
surrounding it: The Crown Palace, the Great Hall, the Royal Gunhouse,
and St. Mary's, the castle church. The gunhouse and the church have long been
destroyed, and have been replaced by the Queen Anne building and the
Scottish National War Memorial. 

The Crown Palace, where the royal family used to live.
Now it houses the crown jewels of Scotland, which we saw!
But we weren't allowed to photograph them.

Emmie made a little friend! (The Queen Anne building in the background.)

It was blessedly protected from the wind in the Crown Square. Behind us, the
Royal Palace. At left, the Scottish National War Memorial.

Emmie learns about Papal Dispensations, on our way into
the vaulted, guarded room where Scotland's crown jewels
are kept. Actually, it's called the Honors of Scotland--the crown,
the sceptre, and the sword of state.

Just before we go into the room where the Honors of Scotland
are on display. There are bronze reproductions, true to size, on
display that you can see and touch (and photograph).

Interesting story: The jewels were hidden away in a secret
crown room behind a brick wall in 1707. Sir Walter Scott, in 1818,
on a hunch, requested and was granted royal approval to break
down the wall in search of the crown, sceptre, and sword. He
was right, and the Honors of Scotland were found after 111
years in hiding.

Found this picture online.


Also in the room is what's known as the Stone of Destiny.
It has been used, for centuries, as the seat on which the Scottish
kings were enthroned at Scone, near Perth. Then in 1296 it was
taken forcibly by the English and kept in Westminster Abbey,
where it was used in the coronation ceremonies of most of the
monarchs of England, and from 1714, all the sovereigns of Great
Britain. It's now back in Scotland.

Found this picture online.


Inside the Great Hall, which was built in 1511. This
medieval roof is one of the most important in Britain.

The Great Hall was used for ceremonies of all sorts. Now lots of arms are on
display here.

Back outside, in the Crown Square, Ollie poses on a lion sculpture.

Then they all pose with the unicorn sculpture. The lion and the unicorn
stand on either side of the door to the Scottish National War Memorial.

These empty guard rooms that flank the door
to the Scottish National War Memorial represent
and honor the dead. The boys just thought it
was fun to get inside them.

The Scottish are famous for their love of dogs, as evidenced by this little
dog cemetery, which is built into part of the castle wall. Regimental
mascots and officers' pets are buried here.

Inside St. Margaret's Chapel. This can still be rented out for weddings, if you
can believe it, though it only holds about 24 guests. A pretty penny, I bet!

The view from the courtyard outside St. Margaret's Chapel, which is the
oldest building in the castle and in Edinburgh.

Another stunning view.

Arthur's Seat, about a miles east of Edinburgh Castle.

Goodbye, Edinburgh Castle. And now...off to find some lunch!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...