Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Athenians vs. Spartans

This morning, Merrit's class presented a play to the entire school and the class parents. Mike, who's fighting off a cold, was able to attend since he wasn't at work. Of course, he came right home and climbed under the covers. The play was great, though, with all kids in togas (sheets) and with different parts to recite and act out.

I suspect that the class has been practicing the play for a while. Merrit had a bit part because he is a latecomer, but he delivered his two lines with gusto.

The class has been doing a unit on Ancient Greece and mythology. The play was about how the Spartans and the Athenians were enemies, always fighting each other (the two groups turned to each other and blew raspberries) until the Persians entered the fray and became the common enemy (insert sword fights and dramatic death acts).

When that was over, one student pretended to be blind Homer, and told about the Trojan horse.

Then they each stood up one at a time, passing the microphone down the line, and each told one thing that they learned about Ancient Greece that they hadn't known before. Merrit said, "I didn't know that the Athenians and the Spartans were enemies." Other great answers: "I didn't know the Grecians made pottery." "I didn't know Ancient Greece was a democracy." "I didn't know who Homer was."

Then they all stood up and did a line dance to Greek music, gripping each other's elbows, stepping side to side and kicking up feet in unison. Really fun to watch all the smiles.

The final act was a rendition of "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley (or maybe more commonly known by its first line, "Don't Worry, 'Bout a Thing"). I couldn't tell you the relevance of that, but it did sound lovely. :-)

2 comments:

Barbara Pilcher said...

All I can say is, "Hurry up with that camera battery!" This sounds literally too delightful for words.

Heather Mattern said...

I am glad that things are going so well with the little ones and their new education. I agree with Pink Overalls, lets see some pics :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...