Saturday, March 19, 2011

Red Nose Day

Today was Red Nose Day in the UK. I knew nothing about this holiday, other than seeing some T-shirts for sale at the stores in the city centre -- like a black-and-white Shakespeare with a red nose. I was like, "Huh?"

Merrit came home with a note in his book bag yesterday that said that since it was Red Nose Day, he could wear something funny and non-uniform to school, that he could prepare a joke to tell in front of the class, and that he could bring in a donation.

Merrit wore a pirate eye patch and had two pounds in his pocket to donate. Quite understated, we realized once we got to the school yard and saw some of the other get-ups. Merrit's teacher was wearing a Marge Simpson wig. There were lots of wigs and funny hats. Kids with mismatched shoes, crazy hair, shirts on backwards. One boy had bright green underwear on his head. And there were lots of red noses.

What's it all for?

Money raised on Red Nose Day all goes to Comic Relief, an organization that raises money to help people in the UK and in Africa. I found out that the first Red Nose Day was in 1988, and I think Comic Relief just sold red noses to raise money. Since then it's become a huge national holiday of sorts, culminating in a big telethon with UK comics and performers. Maybe we'll watch. Here's more about Red Nose Day, if you're interested.

2 comments:

Barbara Pilcher said...

Since Merrit loves jokes, I'm curious what joke he told. His Victor Borge phonetic pronunciation routine would have had them in the aisles.

Ann said...

Just got back from Portugal and got your postcard in the mail. We were all so excited to hear from you. I've finally had the chance to catch up on your new life...sounds like everyone is doing great!! Let's skype this week...I miss you bunches!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...