Homemade ice cream from Delaval's, a little pizza, coffee, and ice cream shop by the seafront. Best pizza in town! And I hadn't tried their ice cream til the fayre. It was yummy. |
So, yep, this American was representin' at the loaded-up table of scones baked by English mums!
The spring fayre was great! We all had an awesome time. As a fundraiser, I think it was a big success. Everything cost a little something, but not much. For instance, admission was 50 pence (or 50p). There was a bouncy castle for a pound, an inflatable slide for 50p, and a few other small activities for kids to do (Guess how many jelly beans in the jar for 20p, etc.). And face painting of course. And a costume contest.
![]() |
| 5 minutes on the slide for 1 pound per kid. |
![]() |
| Ollie is so brave. He held his own with much bigger kids. Fearless, that one. |
We bought and shared some Indian onion bhajis for 1 pound (think hush puppies but made from onions). And the boys shared a Sticky Toffee Muffin that I bought for 1 pound.
![]() |
| 30p for these cute little cupcakes. |
![]() |
| Merrit wondered if the glitter was edible. How cute is this flag?! |
![]() |
| Ollie chowed down on his half-muffin. |
One area of the school had a large rummage sale, where parents had donated toys; all were selling for between 20p and 1 pound. It was super crowded in there, and we don't need anything like that, so we didn't go in to browse.
![]() |
| Out on the Astroturf field, there was a cool obstacle course set up. (in the background) |
![]() |
| The boys playing on The Timber Trail, a permanent feature of the playground. Sort of like a low, kid-friendly ropes course. |
I bet the silent auction raised a lot of money. I bid on a Mom's Relaxation Package (massage, pedicure, manicure, bottle of wine) but didn't win. There were other cool packages. Like a golf package, a few different family outing packages, and kids packages.
I heard from a mom at the school that, all told, the school raised about £5,000 (about $8,200). That's awesome.
![]() |
| The boys on the rock climbing wall. |
![]() |
| Merit with one of his friends from class, Jai. |
Why don't American schools do this type of thing instead of sending the kids door to door selling tins of popcorn and scented candles?
You room moms and PTA volunteers, can you shed some light on this? I'm so curious. Since we weren't really "in" the school system back home--we homeschooled--maybe there's something I'm missing...? Not trying to hate. Just sayin'.
In any case, I'm glad my donated scones were sold--and eaten--for a good cause!
![]() |
| Not bad...for an American. |











2 comments:
We have a spring carnival at school that's kind of similar to this, but we hate it. We teachers aren't invested in the games at all, for one, and we have to host the games in our classrooms. Also, they ask us to buy/bring minimum-$20 items for the silent auction or else ask businesses to donate. And it's an extra four-and-a-half hours after the regular school day that we have to spend setting up, being with our students AGAIN, and taking down. I know it raises a fair amount of money and is more efficient than standard fundraisers; however, from the teacher's perspective, it's AWFUL. Sorry.
Your scones look perfect.
Post a Comment