Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bike Bonanza

Merrit rode his bike without training wheels (or stabilizers, as they say here)! Woo hoo! Go, Merrit! Here are some highlights of his big day:






Earlier in the day, Mike went on a 20-mile bike ride. Here he is getting ready to leave:



Mike here. There's a bike shop right across the street where I got some general maintenance on my bike done. They gave me a map of bike trails all over the northeast. So I picked a trail head that was close to our house and I really didn't have any expectations. 

I just wanted to get out and get some exercise. But what I found was an absolutely incredible bike ride that I could never have planned myself. It led through quiet long stretches between farmlands and fields, under bridges, and between  hedgerows. The path is used by the locals as a general footpath and as a horsetrail. It took me further north, and just on a whim, I took a right towards the coast. I ended up in the town of Seaton Sluice. I wasn't done yet...I didn't want to turn around. 

I continued north, all along the coast which was great because I had worked up a sweat and I was being cooled off by the North Sea breeze. The view was panoramic. All along the way, I was nervously passing horses, because I had never passed a horse on a bike before and didn't know what they'd do. 

I got up to the town of Blythe, which is an old port town, where they have a long stretch of windmills built onto a pier that stretches out into the ocean. 

I figured Blythe was a good place to turn around and head back. I followed the same trail all the way back to my front door. Twenty miles in all. I hope to post a video or photos of my next ride soon.



1 comment:

Barbara Pilcher said...

Yeah, Mike. Now that we've read the book, we want to see the movie.

Nice work, Merrit. Giant step doesn't seem to be the right phrase. Giant pedalling?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...