Mike took the day off and we had a great day. It started off with Merrit making breakfast for me. Omelettes, of course.
Then Mike stayed with the boys while I went for a run along the seafront, down to Cullercoats and back (not as far as the Priory in Tynemouth and back--my usual run--because I haven't run in a couple of weeks and I was feeling it!). Still, a great run and really nice to be out on a warm, sunny day with just the music in my ears to keep me company.
Got home. Showered. Got ready. It was lunchtime so we all drove to Tynemouth for lunch at a pub. Sat outside because it was just gorgeous. Then we drove to the Fish Quay. I wanted to find one of the fish markets there to buy some seafood for my birthday dinner: Paella. I bought New Zealand mussels (they'd sold out of the Scottish mussels) and local king prawns (what we'd call jumbo shrimp).
After that we headed home, took a nap, had a chiropractor appointment (while the boys and I went there, Mike went on another bike ride, about 12 miles today). Then I took the kids to the grocery store. Came home and started dinner.
Paella with mussels, shrimp, and sausage. I basically used Jamie Oliver's recipe, only I didn't use chicken. And instead of chorizo and pancetta, I used spicy Spanish sausages. And I skipped the squid. It was really very good! Served it with a small salad. And flowers on the table that Merrit picked in the front garden. And for dessert, one square of chocolate.
Happy birthday to me....





5 comments:
Happy birthday to you!!!
Sounds lovely. Really, what more could you ask for?
I remember every moment of that day 38 years ago. Well, except the part when they put a mask over my face and I had to take a breath, against my will, so they could knock me out and pull you out because you didn't want to be born until the next day, which would have been exactly 6 months opposite, astrologically, from your Dad's birthday. That would have been today.
Happpy day after your birthday, and many, many more.
That's a big square of chocolate. And that's a big sausage.
Happy birthday!!! I was hoping that our gift would have gotten there for your big day. Anyway, I'm so glad it was relaxing. I love you!!
my sweet friend...loved reading about your special day with your guys. wish i could have hugged you and toasted you appropriately! just hold on for next year, when we are there celebrating my big 4-0. yikes. love you!
Happy Birthday my dear!
Post a Comment